Picture of Yorkshire Bank HQ building Leeds.
This view of the Yorkshire Bank head office building on Merrion Way here in Leeds shows the side of the building seen from Lovell Park Road across a construction site.
Founded a little over 150 years ago on the 1st May 1859, the Yorkshire started life as the West Riding Penny Savings Bank and around a year later the name changed to the Yorkshire Penny Bank. A hundred years after its founding the name changed again to Yorkshire Bank Limited.
The bank lost its independence in 1911, being taken over by a consortium of British Banks and in 1990 it was sold to National Australia Bank. The Yorkshire has branches mostly across the North of England with a few scattered further south.